Saturday, November 24, 2007

For Little G3

Before I start this, I have to credit Goodnight, Mom, whose idea I am blatantly stealing this week. I found her on Lincee’s website and bumped to her blog, then became instantly enamored with something she did for her own daughter.

I have high hopes that someday this will be around for my kid to see. It’s hard to know in this digital age what will stand the test of time and what will be relegated to the dumping ground. I hope this lasts.

My precious baby girl turned four this week, and it seems like her little life is just flying by in front of my eyes. I met my brand new niece over Thanksgiving, and holding her and feeding her and loving her and drinking in the pure goodness that she is brought back such a rush of feelings for me. My daughter is the only one I’m ever going to have, and those precious sweet baby days feel like a lifetime ago.

I was struck by a sudden urge to somehow document every single miraculous, amazing, hysterical thing she does, because I fear tomorrow it will all be gone and replaced by some awkward teenage girl who hates me. In fact, I’m certain of that, which makes this all the more urgent.

So this is for you little G3, and everything you bring to the table.

  • “Tumember, Mom” instead of “remember, Mom”
  • I love you 60 pounds
  • I don’t love you people!
  • Diego? We date.
  • Slideout
  • Ok, Mom, here’s the deal.
  • Fine. Whatever.
  • Beltseat
  • I’m still married with Mr. Duck.
  • No, Uncle Jim, it’s Son Of A Bitch!
  • YOU have cute shoes
  • Cocktails and Starbucks – both are ok when you’re four.
  • Hot cogs and mac and cheese. The two major food groups.
  • Breakfast bars and juice boxes. The two minor food groups.
  • This is gonna take like 50 hours.
  • What time is it?
  • OH MY GOSH!! Eye roll…..
  • I can have a baby after college. What is college again?
  • Thank you sir.
  • Sleepy, whispery “yes ma’am”
  • Tanilla ice cream and milk shakers
  • Dora and Dragon Tales, Higglytown Heroes and Handy Manny
  • Toddler music
  • Daddy, the Aggies won the football game! The Aggies won the football game!
  • Do you still love me?
  • That’s what pull-ups are for!!!
  • Anything Barbie or Disney Princess
  • The Mommy and the Daddy and the Sweetie
  • Monsters are afraid of Dads and dogs
As I sit it at my desk and listen to her night-night music on the baby monitor, it’s all I can do to keep from running down the hall and picking her up and holding on for dear life.

So, goodnight my little lovebug. Sleep tight, and wake safe! I'll see you in the morning.

No comments: