Thursday, March 26, 2009

The aftermath

Well, thank you, dear readers, for your concern and well wishes today. I was frankly overwhelmed by emails and even discreet phone calls to my coworkers.

Truly, thank you.

I think the root canal analogy I used the other day is a perfect description of how it went today. Something was wrong and we knew there was a way to fix it. We knew something was coming, but we didn't really know what, and it was scary. It hurt a bit, but ultimately, we will feel better soon.

I work in sales, for some really smart people. Because of the economy, our business is not going as well as it was a year ago. (Wow! Go figure....we're the only ones in the US in this situation). And the bosses recognize this. Someone decided that perhaps they should take inventory, evaluate, if you will, the sales staff that they have working for them.

And so it began - a big list of metrics that I won't trouble you with, except to say that it gave the guys in charge a clear, unbiased opinion of where we all stand on the food chain.

I am happy to report that I actually scored a bit better than I thought I would. There were a few items that surprised me outright, but for the most part, I fell just north of where I thought I had performed or what I deserved.

But some people I really like were affected. Some folks were asked to leave, others invited to stay but in another capacity. Some folks got promoted, and I just moved over laterally to a new supervisor. And I'm ok with that.

In this economy, I don't think any of us have the right to feel safe. And I don't think any of us have the right to feel entitled to a job. Just because I've been there almost three years and have more than nine years of experience in my field, I shouldn't feel like I have a job for life.

I also don't think we have the right to complain when the people who pay us to show up for work every day put a system in place to monitor what exactly it is that we are bringing to the party. Go for it, I say, because it shakes out the ones who are pulling their weight and it clearly defines the ones who aren't.

It's not about who is in the inner circle now. It's about who is bringing it.

So today was long, and I am tired and drained. Tomorrow is a new day and with it comes its own set of expectations. So I am off to bed, and I hope a decent night's sleep for the first time in a week.

Thank you again for those of you who checked on me, thought about me, prayed for me. It's good to know you're out there, whoever and wherever you are.


No comments: