Sunday, March 22, 2009

I'm up for Wife of the Year

MrG is a happy camper this evening. Wanna know why? Two words....Home Cooking!

I got up earlier yesterday than I had planned and thought I would surprise LittleG and MrG with some hot fresh banana bread since LittleG didn't eat the bananas before they got brownish and mottled. It hacks me off when she insists that I buy her fruit that she doesn't eat. Oh, who am I kidding? I love banana bread, so I hid the bananas from her. Oops.

Before you chastise me for feeding my family what is essentially dessert for breakfast, you should know I made the bread using Hungry Girl's Banana Bread recipe. This recipe calls for Splenda instead of sugar, whole grain wheat flour, Egg Beaters® and applesauce instead of fat, so don't call me out, please.

By the way - if you are dieting, or just want to make your meals more healthy, you need to check out Hungry Girl. She's got some fabulous food finds and her recipes are easy and delicious!

Anyway, our errand day started yesterday with hot banana bread, right out of the oven. This morning, I used what was left of the banana bread to make french toast. A little light vanilla soy milk, a little whole wheat flour, a slug of Egg Beaters and some cinnamon....YUM! I also served real bacon, which is a rare treat since we are trying to make smart food choices in our family.

I knew MrG needed some time alone today, so I took one for the team. I sent LittleG to Sunday School with Nana, and I graciously vacated the premises for a couple hours. To keep myself entertained, I had my nails done and got a pedicure. Nothing gets in the way of my man's happiness, so you know, I did what I could.

Before I left, I took some tamales that his mom and I had made out of the freezer and put them on the stove. Two hours later, he had a quiet house, all the HD Outdoor Channel he could stand, and hot tamales, made for him by the two women who love him most. MrG is a lucky man indeed.

LittleG and I finally found our way home, and she and her dad spent some time together while I threw together some homemade pita bread. If you've never made your own, you should give it a try sometime. Here's the recipe I start with. I use a mixture of whole wheat pastry flour and bread flour, and I toss in a little gluten. Turns out perfect every time!

MrG LOVES hot fresh pita bread. Pita bread is like a big fat thick tortilla, only a whole lot easier, but don't tell him that!

Throw some pork chops on the grill, open a can of green beans, mash some potatoes, and bingo, you've hit one out of the park.

So he's down the hall now playing XBox, all loaded up on fresh baked carbohydrates and love. Good thing, since this week promises to be a stormy one. Spring weather in Texas is unpredictable at best, and Mother Nature can be a real bitch this time of year. The weather man says we'll have storms on Tuesday, and Thursday is the day of reckoning at work for all of us. None of us expects sunny and mild, we just don't know how stormy it will be at the office that day.

I expect to be pretty freaky freaky over the next three days, so I liquored him up pretty well. I hope the warm glow he starts the week with will overshadow what is likely to be a pretty ugly week.

On the upside, we will get to Thursday, then we'll get through it. I'm making a birthday cake for a friend of LittleG's this weekend, and buttercream is always therapeutic. So I have that to look forward to.

I'm not sure what you should expect over the next few days. I've done my best writing when I've been emotionally overwrought, so it's either going to be really good, or really clear to you that I'm just phoning it in.

For now, I've got some more work to do if I'm going to win that Wife of the Year award. Ever forward, friends!

No comments: