Monday, March 16, 2009

This writing gig is great

I have to admit to you that I've spent a lot of time thinking about words lately. What can I write that will be entertaining? Make you laugh, maybe make you cry? What magic combination of letters and punctuation can I string together to elicit some reaction in those folks who are nice enough to click in every day?

There aren't many of you, but some of you come early and often. It's nice when you drop by Lady Steele's for a quick little read with your morning coffee or your evening cocktail. Or for your hardcore ones, your morning cocktail....

But I digress. As I have spent more time thinking about what I'll write, I find the words come to me at the strangest times. When I'm not really thinking about it, suddenly a perfect phrase or an interesting sentence will float to the top of my consciousness. And off I'll go.

Some of these posts have taken me months to write. I've been chewing on them and chewing on them, looking for exactly what I want to say, and how I want you to feel when you read it.

I understand why some people make a living doing this. When you nail it, you know it, and it feels FABULOUS!

My friend MK said it best - sometimes the words just bubble around up there. And sometimes the planets align just perfectly, and I can bring a thousand little words together to form a coherent, entertaining, touching piece.

At other times, they are just their very own little bubbles, floating off forever.

One of the reasons I wanted to write is because I think I need to make more time for me. Think about what's really on my mind, own it, and put it out there for others. I know that my words are entertaining and enlightening and sometimes embarrassing for my mother, but you know what? I am what I am, and these words are my story.

If you enjoy them along the way, then all the better. Thanks for clicking in and indulging me in my "me time."


1 comment:

Chad and Mary Kate Martin said...

I love your writing! I love spending the time I should be working catching up on nearly a month of your writing. Lonely today with out my work BFF!