Wednesday, March 04, 2009

That's my kid!!

As I parent, I am always spewing forth parental wisdom for LittleG and pretty much anyone else who will listen. I have these little "sticky notes of life" that I want to be sure I impart to her. Some of my favorites:

• A bad boy may be fun, but a good guy stays forever.

• Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
• You can get a baby in your tummy AFTER college.
• Chocolate is not a smart food choice.
• When I ask you to do something, I expect that you will do it.
• Polite children are nice to be around.

Some of my more free-willed friends find my approach to child rearing to be overstructured and some even go as far as to insinuate that I might be pushing LittleG too hard to be a grownup, thus depriving her of her God-given Right to A Stress Free Childhood.

I figure the more I throw at her now, the more chance I have that at least part of it will stick. And it's hard to know how much of it is sticking.


Sometimes, though, you just know. We had to make a late night run to the Doc-in-the-box the other night for a nasty upper respiratory infection, and here's what transpired:

Doctor: So your ears are really hurting?
LittleG: Yes, sir
Doctor: Have you been coughing much?
LittleG: Yes, sir
Doctor: Does anyone in your house smoke?
LittleG: NO WAY SIR! We don't smoke in our family! That's just nasty!

She shoots, she scores!!!!


1 comment:

Chad and Mary Kate Martin said...

YAY LittleG and nice job Mom!